- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 slices firm white sandwich bread
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound cholesterol-free egg noodles such as No Yolks
- 1 small onion
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups beef broth (24 fluid ounces)
- 3 tablespoons medium-dry Sherry
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon nonfat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill leaves
- Make meatballs - Into a blender tear 2 bread slices and grind into fine crumbs. Transfer crumbs to a large bowl. Make more bread crumbs in same manner and transfer to bowl. Finely chop enough onion to measure 3/4 cup and add to bread crumbs. In a small bowl whisk together egg, nutmeg, allspice, salt, and pepper and add to bread crumb mixture. Add turkey and with your hands mix mixture until just combined (do not overmix).
- Form turkey mixture into 1 1/4-inch balls (about 80) and arrange on a tray. Meatballs may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a 12-inch non-stick skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and brown meatballs in 2 batches, turning them occasionally, about 4 minutes for each batch. With a slotted spoon transfer meatballs as browned to a shallow baking pan and reserve any drippings in skillet. Bake meatballs, tightly covered with foil, in middle of oven until just cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- While meatballs are baking, fill a 6-quart kettle three fourths full with salted water and bring to a boil for noodles. Finely chop enough onion to measure 1/2 cup. In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and 1/2 cup broth. To reserved drippings in skillet add Sherry and onion and simmer mixture, stirring and scraping up brown bits, until most of liquid is evaporated. Add remaining 2 1/2 cups broth and bring to a boil. Stir cornstarch mixture and whisk into broth mixture. Boil mixture, whisking, 1 minute and remove skillet from heat. Whisk in Worcestershire sauce, sour cream, and dill and keep sauce warm, covered, over low heat (do not let boil).
- Cook noodles in boiling water until al dente. Drain noodles well in a colander and transfer to a large serving dish. Gently toss noodles with sauce and meatballs and garnish with dill.
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"See More
Vanilla Caramel Nut Ice Cream Pudding (with salted caramel and hot chocolate sauce)
Candy Cane Fudge
Pancit PalabokSee More