- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm.
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in oil until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add rice and thyme; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in wine or additional broth.
- Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add heated broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly.
- Allow liquid to absorb between additions.
- Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender.
- Total cooking time is about 20 minutes.
- Add the turkey, Romano cheese, salt and pepper; cook and stir until heated through.
- Serve immediately.
NotesThis was my first stab at making risotto ever, as I have always thought of it as being a very heavy dish. But when Light & Tasty had a 4 recipe spread in their latest issue, I decided to give it a shot. I turned out to be really good. I probably could have cooked mine a bit longer with more broth as the rice was still a bit chewy when I pulled it off the burner. I will be making again as I bought a big Jennie O turkey breast, the leftovers of which are now in the icebox.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 334 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 698 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Italy or Bust
MetroCooking DC 2013
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew JudsonSee More
Fojos (Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Ancho Chili and Whipped Cream)
Crab And Shrimp Pasta
Graham Cracker Peanut Butter Balls (Truffles)See More