- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis procedure results in a turkey that is extremely moist and so tender that it isn't really suitable for formal carving. The method is so easy, however, that you'll find yourself serving turkey all year 'round, not just during holidays.
- 1 turkey uncooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ribs celery
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups boiling water
- Wash turkey thoroughly after removing all parts, pat dry.
- Sprinkle salt inside turkey cavity and insert celery stalks.
- Preheat oven to 450•.
- Place turkey on rack in roasting pan and rub with melted butter.
- Pour boiling water around turkey, cover pan tightly, and cook 2 hours for 14 pounds or less and 2 1/2 hours for more than 14 pounds.
- After cooking time, turn off heat, but DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR.
- Leave turkey in closed oven overnight (8 hours). Turkey will be ready to slice and refrigerate the next morning with plenty of drippings for gravy.
- NOTE: I use my timer on the oven and start it at 12 midnight and have the timer turn off at 2:30 a.m. The turkey is then ready at 10:30 and ready to slice. This keeps from having to put it in the refrigerator as we do not want cold turkey with our Thanksgiving dinner.