- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 14 oz. individually wrapped caramels
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk (divided)
- 1 box German chocolate cake mix (18 oz.)
- 1.5 sticks butter (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 12 oz. chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt unwrapped caramels and 1/3 cup evaporated milk in double boiler until smooth and shiny.
- Melt butter. In mixer, combine butter, 1/3 cup evaporated milk and cake mix until a dense batter forms. Fold in nuts.
- Press half of batter evenly into bottom of glass 13x9 pan.
- Bake for 9 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and allow to cool 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle entire bag of chocolate chips evenly over top. Evenly pour caramel sauce over chips.
- Using remaining batter, press handfuls into flat discs and place on top of caramel, covering as much visible caramel as possible. Some will still be visible, as batter will spread to fill gaps.
- Bake for 16 more minutes. Check that edges do not over-bake. Allow to cool completely overnight. Cutting too soon makes a gooey mess. Cut into small squares. They're rich.
NotesThis recipe has been handed down through co-workers and friends. I've made it so many times, though, I've come to perfect the timing and ingredients for the ultimate batch.
When my husband's office has a potluck, he is automatically signed up to bring my brownies in. They are always such a hit.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
MidLife Road Trip'sSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More