- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 lbs beef (boneless chuck or bottom round)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 16 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1. Cut the beef into 1½” cubes and season with salt and pepper.
- 2. Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- 3. Add garlic and rosemary, stir for 1 minute, then add beef.
- 4. Saute frequently until meat is browned, about 15 minutes.
- 5. When the meat is browned, pour in the wine and deglaze.
- 6. Stir until wine reduces by at least half.
- 7. Add the tomatoes, season to taste, then turn the heat to low and cover the pot.
- 8. Simmer, stirring every 20 minutes or so until the meat is very tender (approximately 3 hrs).
- 9. Add splashes of wine or a tablespoon of water if the stew becomes too dry.
- 10. Serve over white rice and top with shredded cheddar and french fried onions.