TUSCAN BEEF STEW
- 2 lbs beef (boneless chuck or bottom round)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 16 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1. Cut the beef into 1½” cubes and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
3. Add garlic and rosemary, stir for 1 minute, then add beef.
4. Saute frequently until meat is browned, about 15 minutes.
5. When the meat is browned, pour in the wine and deglaze.
6. Stir until wine reduces by at least half.
7. Add the tomatoes, season to taste, then turn the heat to low and cover the pot.
8. Simmer, stirring every 20 minutes or so until the meat is very tender (approximately 3 hrs).
9. Add splashes of wine or a tablespoon of water if the stew becomes too dry.
10. Serve over white rice and top with shredded cheddar and french fried onions.