TUSCAN SAUSAGE AND POTATO SOUP
Tuscan Sausage and Potato Soup
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage links (removed from casing and crumbled)
- 3/4 cup diced onions
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 slice bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups nonfat, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups kale or other greens, thinly sliced
- Splash of milk
- *Parmesan Rind (if available)
Remove sausages from casing and brown in skillet. Set aside.
Place onions, carrot, celery and bacon in 3- to 4-quart saucepan and cook over medium heat until onions are almost transparent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
Add chicken broth, potatoes and parmesan rind. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Add greens, sausage, milk and salt to taste. Simmer 5 minutes longer.
Originally posted as part of Recipes in Rotation on My Word with Douglas E. Welch (http://welchwrite.com/blog/category/recipes-in-rotation/)