- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 T-bone or porterhouse steaks, each 1 1/2" thick (about 3 1/2 lbs total), patted dry
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges for serving.
- Build a two-level charcoal fire by stacking majority of coals on one side of grill and arranging remaining coals in single layer on other side. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill with lid and let grate heat up, about 5 minutes. Use wire brush to scrape grate clean. Grill is ready when thicker layer of coals is medium-hot (you can hold your hand 5 inches off the grate for 3 to 4 seconds).
- Meanwhile, sprinkle each side of steaks with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cook steaks, uncovered, over hotter part of grill until well browned on each side, about 2 1/2 minutes per side. (If steaks start to flame, move them to cooler side of fire and/or extinguish flames with squirt bottle.) Move steaks to cooler side of grill and continue cooking, turning once, to desired doneness, 5 to 6 minutes more for rare (120 degrees), 6 to 7 minutes more for medium-rare (125 degrees), or 7 to nine minutes more for medium medium-rare (130 to 140 degrees).
- Transfer steaks to cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Cut strips and tenderloin pieces off bone and slice crosswise about 1/2" thick. Arrange slices on platter, drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
- You can make this on a gas grill or inside by using a two-burner system, but it's just not the same.
NotesA great option when you're grilling - super easy and a nice alternative to bottled steak sauce.
You can make this on a gas grill or inside by using a two-burner system, but it's just not the same.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Koken met Oma
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
The Italian ExchangeSee More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More