- Cooking Time: 90
- Servings: 5-6
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 free range chicken, 3-4 pounds (1.4 - 1.8 kg)
- cracked black pepper and sea salt to taste
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 1 14 oz (398ml) can water-packed artichokes
- 1 head garlic
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups pearl onions peeled
- 1 cup oil-cured olives (Arnaud)
- 1 cup cracked green olives
- 2 tbsps coarsely chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tbsps coarsely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200C).
- Place chicken on a cutting board and cut the chicken up the back. Open it up. Lay flat, skin side up and press to flatten.
- Rub it with olive oil and sprinkle with cracked pepper and sea salt.
- Set aside.
- Slice the fennel thinly and place in a large bowl.
- Drain the artichokes and cut into sixths.
- Add them to the fennel
- Separate the cloves of garlic, but do not peel;place them in bowl.
- Cut the lemon into 6 wedges, squeeze the juice over the fennel and drop the wedges into the bowl as well
- To peel the onions, cut the ends off and drop them into boiling water for about 15 seconds. Refresh them in cold water, then drain them- the skins will slip right off.
- Add to other ingredients, along with the olives, herbs and wine.
- Toss all the ingredients to mix
- Place the vegetables evenly in a large roasting pan with the prepared chicken on top.
- Roast uncovered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the oven.
- Pierce the inside thigh with a fork: the chicken is cooked through if the juices run clear, or the internal temperature reads 180F (82C)
- To serve, cut the chicken into pieces and spoon the vegetable garnish around each servint
NotesThis receipe is from The Girls Who Dish. Its not barbeque but it is delicous. The left overs are even better over pasta. I heat up the the left overs with a little extra oil add the cooked pasta and some cheese.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Sharing Christmas with Friends
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through CollegeSee More
Raw “Vodka Sauce”
Memere's Chocolate Chip CookiesSee More