- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary, or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Two 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon red wine or cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt (use kosher salt in the kitchen as the flakes have great flavor)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium low heat. Slowly cook the onions and garlic for 5 to 6 minutes until soft, stirring constantly. Add the rosemary and smoked paprika and cook an additional minute. In a food processor, blend the cannellini beans, sautéed onion mixture, vinegar, red pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt until smooth. Slowly add the remaining olive oil. Add additional salt and lots of black pepper to taste.
- Transfer to covered bowl and chill to allow flavors to blend. Bring the dip to room temperature before serving – about twenty minutes - so the flavors of the ingredients come out.
- This dip is also crazy delicious when baked in a medium oven proof dish at 325 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes, until bubbling around the edges.
- Makes 2 cups
Notes1/4 cup portion: Calories 59, fat 2g, carbs 6r, protein 2.5g
Use fresh sprigs of rosemary to garnish this zesty combination of delicate cannellini beans, herbs and spices. Serve with assorted Crostini toasts