TUSCAN WHITE BEAN DIP
Tuscan White Bean Dip
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary, or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Two 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon red wine or cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt (use kosher salt in the kitchen as the flakes have great flavor)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium low heat. Slowly cook the onions and garlic for 5 to 6 minutes until soft, stirring constantly. Add the rosemary and smoked paprika and cook an additional minute. In a food processor, blend the cannellini beans, sautéed onion mixture, vinegar, red pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt until smooth. Slowly add the remaining olive oil. Add additional salt and lots of black pepper to taste.
Transfer to covered bowl and chill to allow flavors to blend. Bring the dip to room temperature before serving – about twenty minutes - so the flavors of the ingredients come out.
This dip is also crazy delicious when baked in a medium oven proof dish at 325 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes, until bubbling around the edges.
Makes 2 cups
Use fresh sprigs of rosemary to garnish this zesty combination of delicate cannellini beans, herbs and spices. Serve with assorted Crostini toasts