- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1/2 pound bacon (I only cooked 3 strips of bacon)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (about 1/2 tsp.)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded
- Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry bread crumbs (I didn't use)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Use a fork to pierce the potato skins.
- Bake the potatoes unwrapped for about 1 hour, or until soft, in the preheated oven.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Over medium-low heat melt the butter in a large saucepan. Combine onion, mushrooms, red pepper, garlic powder, pepper, chives and salt. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally
- until the onions are soft.
- Slice open the baked potatoes and, keeping the skins intact, scoop the insides into a medium bowl. Transfer the onion mixture to the bowl. Mix in the sour cream. Pour in
- 1/2 of the cheese and continue mixing until all ingredients are well blended.
- Using a large spoon, fill the potato skins with the mixture. Top with bread crumbs, the remaining cheese and bacon.
- Return the potatoes to the preheated oven and continue baking for about 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the filling is slightly brown. i added red bell pepper for crunchiness
NotesThis is great as a side dish or as an appetizer. Melted cheese and crumbled bacon are the highlights of the flavorful, creamy filling.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Holidays = Desserts = Happiness
Delicious Recipes Made EasySee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More