TWO-LAYER KEY LIME PIE
- 3/4 cup granola -- with no raisins or other dried fruit
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (6 whole graham crackers)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter -- melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- BAKED LAYER:
- 1 14 -ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice -- key limes or regular
- 3 large egg yolks
- CHILLED LAYER:
- 8 ounces cream cheese -- room temperature
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice -- key lime or regular
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream -- sweetened
For Crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Using on/off turns, blend granola in food processor until coarsely ground. Transfer granola to medium bowl. Mix in graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar. Press crumb mixture over
bottom and up sides of 9-inch-diameter deep dish glass pie dish. Bake until crust is golden brown, about 8 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F. Remove crust from oven and cool completely.
For Baked Layer: Whisk condensed milk, lime juice, and egg yolks in medium bowl to blend. Pour into crust. Bake until custard is set, about 25 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
For Chilled Layer: Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, condensed milk, lime juice, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Pour over cooled baked layer; smooth top. Cover and chill until firm, at least 4 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
Pipe sweetened whipped cream decoratively around edges of the pie. Cut into wedges and serve.
Contributor: April 2004 Bon Appetit from Keylime Bistro