- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese, preferably Reggiano
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. dried basil leaves, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/3 c. milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 c. coarsely chopped, drained sun-dried tomatoes (packed in olive oil)
- 1/2 c. plus 2 Tb. pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly butter a 10" diameter circle in center of baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, cheese, baking powder, basil and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl stir together milk, eggs and hot pepper sauce. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in tomatoes and 1/2 c. pine nuts. Dough will be sticky.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough into an 9" circle in center of prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle surface of dough with remaining 2 Tb. pine nuts and press them gently into dough. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Bake for 20-25 min 'til top is lightly browned and a cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack to cool for 5 min. Using spatula, transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Re-cut wedges, if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container in refrigerator. Let the scones reach room temp. or warm slightly before serving.
Notes"Pieces of sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts and Reggiano Parmesan cheese "yuppify" these savory scone wedges. These scones are perfect with soups and/or salads."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative CreationsSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More