- Cooking Time: 60
- Preparation Time:
- 1-1/2 cups (5 oz) walnuts
- 2-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (I use Half 'n Half instead)
- 2 cups very ripe mashed bananas (about 5 small or 4 medium)
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the walnuts on a baking sheet & roast until aromatic & lightly browned, 12-15 minutes. After 6-8 minutes, shake the pan & rotate if necessary to ensure even browning. When broken in half, the interior of the walnuts should be golden. Let cool, then roughly chop the walnuts or break them into pieces by hand. Keep the oven set at 350 degrees.
- Spray two 9 x 3 inch loaf pans with vegetable-oil cooking spray.
- Stir together the flour, kosher salt & cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the oil & sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Alternatively, use a hand mixer. Beat on low speed, until combined. (I do it the old-fashioned way and use a hand-whisk - no electricity needed - and have no problems other than a little flour flying later on : D)
- Add the eggs & vanilla & beat until incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Stir the baking soda into the buttermilk (or half 'n half) in a small bowl or measuring cup. Add one third of the dry ingredients to the mixer, followed by half of the buttermilk (or half 'n half) & mix on low speed until barely combined, 10 to 15 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides & mix in the remaining dry ingredients. Add the mashed bananas & walnuts & mix until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake until the bread is golden brown & a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Transfer the pans to wire racks & let cool for 5 minutes, then remove the loaves from the pans & let cool on the racks for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Notesthis is from my favorite cookbook "Bride & Groom First & Forever Cookbook"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More