UNCLE JAY'S BUTTERSCOTCH BROWNIES
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup butter (has to be butter)!
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 1-1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350º
Measure 1 cup sifted flour. Add baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sift again. Add 1/2 cup chopped nuts.
Mix together very well and set aside.
Melt 1/3 cup butter. Add 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar and mix well, just don't OVER mix.
If you use shortening add 1 tablespoon hot water. Cool slightly.
Add beaten egg and vanilla. Blend well, again, don't over mix.
Add flour mixture, a little at a time, mixing until blended.
Spread in 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle 1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips on top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes -- don't overbake!