- Cooking Time: ~90
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 120 (inc. cooking time)
- 1 to 2 pounds head of green cabbage - quartered lengthwise and cored
- ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced and divided
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ pound ground beef chuck
- ½ pound ground pork
- ¼ teaspoon salt and black pepper
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Serve with steamed white rice
- Place cabbage in a deep 12” heavy skillet with broth, 1 garlic clove (sliced), and a rounded ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then cook, covered turning cabbage occasionally, until very tender, about 45 minutes.
- (Add more broth or water if necessary – do not let the pan go dry).
- Meanwhile cook the onion and remaining garlic in oil in a heavy medium pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and stir in ground meats along with ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring and breaking up lumps with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, cranberries, vinegar, and brown sugar and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Season with additional salt, if needed.
- Pour sauce into the skillet with the cabbage and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley and accompanied by steamed rice, if desired.