- Cooking Time: 81
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1–2 lbs head of green cabbage—quartered lengthwise and cored
- ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced and divided
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 lg onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lb ground beef chuck
- ½ lb ground pork
- ¼ tsp salt and black pepper
- 2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Serve with steamed white rice
- Place cabbage in a deep 12” heavy skillet with broth, 1 garlic clove (sliced), and a rounded ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then cook, covered turning cabbage occasionally, until very tender, about 45 minutes.
- (Add more broth or water if necessary—do not let the pan go dry).
- Meanwhile cook the onion and remaining garlic in oil in a heavy medium pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and stir in ground meats along with ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring and breaking up lumps with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, cranberries, vinegar, and brown sugar and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Season with additional salt, if needed.
- Pour sauce into the skillet with the cabbage and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley and accompanied by steamed rice, if desired.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Italy or Bust
MidLife Road Trip's
Watt's Cooking in PA?See More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More