- Cooking Time: 81
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1–2 lbs head of green cabbage—quartered lengthwise and cored
- ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced and divided
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 lg onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lb ground beef chuck
- ½ lb ground pork
- ¼ tsp salt and black pepper
- 2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Serve with steamed white rice
- Place cabbage in a deep 12” heavy skillet with broth, 1 garlic clove (sliced), and a rounded ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then cook, covered turning cabbage occasionally, until very tender, about 45 minutes.
- (Add more broth or water if necessary—do not let the pan go dry).
- Meanwhile cook the onion and remaining garlic in oil in a heavy medium pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and stir in ground meats along with ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring and breaking up lumps with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, cranberries, vinegar, and brown sugar and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Season with additional salt, if needed.
- Pour sauce into the skillet with the cabbage and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley and accompanied by steamed rice, if desired.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
GAES PTO Recipes
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More