- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb orecchiete pasta
- 1 c sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 T olive oil
- 6 T butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 c all-purpose flour
- 3 c milk
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, pureed
- 1 1/2 c (6 oz) grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
- 3 oz cream cheese, cut
- 8 c firmly packed spinach (or 1 10 oz pkg of frozen spinach, thawed)
- 1/2 c sun-dried tomatoes (or 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained and roasted)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 t salt
- 1 t pepper
- 2 t marjoram
- Preheat oven to 30 and lightly grease 9x13 baking dish
- Cook pasta until al dente. Rinse and drain well. Toss with sour cream until just mixed, then set aside.
- Heat olive oil and butter in skillet over medium heat and add onion. Cook and stir 3-4 minutes.
- Stir flour in and cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in milk and cook, stirring constantly until mix comes to a boil and thickens, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in peppers, cheese, cream cheese, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and lemon juice. Stir until cheese melts.
- Add pasta-sour cream mix to cheese mix. Add salt, pepper, and marjoram, toss until well-blended.
- Transfer to baking dish and bake 40-45 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
NotesThis is one of my favorite macaroni and cheese recipes, and it has the distinguished reputation of tasting just as good (maybe better!!) when you reheat it.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
My Family Cookbook
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Easy Homemade Salad DressingsSee More
Oatmeal-cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chicken with Roasted Lemon & Rosemary SauceSee More