UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
- 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced apples or pears or pineapples in juice, drained
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
Melt butter in 10inch ovenproof skillet or square pan (9x9)in oven. Sprinkle brown sugar over butter. Arrange fruit on brown sugar, cutting one or more slices into pieces if necessary.
Beat remaining ingredients. Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.Pour over fruit.
Bake skillet/pan for 45 to 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Immediately turn upside down onto heatproof plate. Let skillet/pan remain over cake a few minutes so brown sugar topping can drizzle over cake. Cool 15 minutes. Serve with Whipped Cream.