- Cooking Time: approx. 45 mins
- Preparation Time:
- 5-6 small/medium size juicy apples (the number depends on the size of the cake thin you are using)
- 8 eggs
- 8 + 6 tblsp of sugar
- 20 tblsp ground walnuts
- 2 tblsp breadcrumbs
- whipped cream
- Wash and peel the apples. Carefully remove the core without cutting the apples into pieces.
- Place the apples into a cake form (tip: do not use a spring form as the liquid will leak out all over the oven) and fill the center with sugar (approx. 1 tblsp per apple)
- Place them in the hot oven (200°C), approx. the time necessary for sugar to melt and the apples to become soft (not too soft)
- In the meantime prepare the batter: Whip the egg whites with 8 tblsp of sugar. Add the egg yolks mixing gently with a wooden spoon, add walnuts and breadcrumbs.
- Take the cake form with apples out of the oven and pour the batter over them, shaking gently to spread evenly.
- Bake at the same temp. (180 - 200°C)
- When the cake starts detaching from the sides, check with a toothpick if it is done (the toothpick must come out dry).
- Turn the cake over on a plate so that the apples are on the top. Let it cool. The apple juice mixed with sugar syrup will go down and moisten the cake.
- Cover the whole cake with whipped cream and leave in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
NotesI don't know whether my mother invented this recipe or got it from someone, but it's so simple and she made it so many times that she didn't even have it written down. At some point I was fed up with it, and pushed it away from my memory. I only brought it back once that I needed a quick and tasty birthday cake, and I must say, everybody loved it.
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Halloween Easy Eerie EdiblesSee More
Curried Wheat Bread
Chicken Fried Steak (TNT)
BRIE AND PROSCIUTTO FILLED CHILE RELLENOS ON A BED OF FIGS AND ARUGULASee More