Valentine's Day Cake
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1/2 cup warm water (105º to 115ºF)
2 packages Fleischmann's® Active Dry Yeast
1/2 cup warm milk (105º to 115ºF)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (4 1/2 to 5 cups)
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries, drained
1/2 cup chopped slivered almonds, toasted
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 tablespoons milk (2 to 3 tablespoons)
1. Place warm water in large, warm bowl. Sprinkle in yeast; stir until dissolved. Add warm milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter, eggs, salt and 1 1/2 cups flour; blend well. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
2. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 4 to 6 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. Pat maraschino cherries between paper towels to remove excess moisture. In medium bowl, combine cherries, almonds and 1/4 cup sugar; reserve.
4. Punch dough down. Remove dough to lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll one piece to 24- × 7-inch oblong. Melt remaining butter; brush half on dough to within 1/2-inch of edges. Sprinkle half of cherry mixture on surface. Beginning at long end, roll up tightly as for jelly roll. Pinch seam to seal; carefully roll back and forth to stretch to 26-inch rope. Place, seam side down, on greased baking sheet. Form into ring; pinch ends together to seal. Shape into heart.
5. With sharp knife, cut slits starting at outside edge of heart, 2/3 of the way through dough, at 3/4-inch intervals. Turn each section on its side to show filling. Repeat with remaining dough, butter and filling. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
6. Bake at 350ºF for 20 to 25 minutes or until done; switch positions of sheets in oven halfway through baking time for even browning. Remove from sheets; cool on wire racks. Frost with Almond Icing.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Cake