- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup lukewarm half and half or light cream
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) soft butter
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (original recipe calls for vanilla or "all-natural Fiori di Sicilia" which is a King Arthur citrus extract, but I use vanilla)
- 2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- Mix all of the dough ingredients by hand, stand mixer, or bread machine till you've created a smooth, elastic dough, about 5-7 minutes by mixer (estimate based on my first time making these). Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover the bowl, and set the dough aside to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours; it'll be puffy, but may not double in bulk.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased work surface, and divide it into six golf ball-sized pieces, about 3 ounces each.
- Shape the pieces into balls, and place them in the lightly greased cups of a silicone brioche pan or muffin pan.
- Cover with lightly greased plastic wrap or a proof cover, and allow the buns to rise at room temperature for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (mine took about 30 minutes), until they're noticeably puffy.
- Bake the buns in a preheated 350°F oven for 22 to 24 minutes, until they're golden brown.
- Remove them from the oven, and turn them out of the pan onto a rack.
- While the buns are cooling, stir together the glaze ingredients.
- When the buns are just lukewarm, dip them in the glaze.
NotesThese are devine little buns-- very light, soft, and with a nice sweetness. The recipe is from King Arthur Flour. These MUST be eaten the same day you bake them because they get stale quickly.
(Note: The original title of this recipe on the King Arthur website is Orange-Vanilla Cream Buns, but there is no citrus without the Fiori di Sicilia extract, so I left out the "orange" part.)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
My Family CookbookSee More
Blue Collar Beer Cheese Dip
Banana Bread Bars with Brown Butter FrostingSee More