- Cooking Time: 20 min./batch
- Servings: 36 servings
- Preparation Time: 30 min. + chilling
BackstoryFriends look forward to receiving a gift of these crescents. They're my all-time favorite cookies. The pastry is tender and flaky, and the vanilla flavor comes through beautifully.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, separated
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk, sour cream and vanilla; add to crumb mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Divide dough into thirds. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 10-in. circle. Combine the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle 1/4 cup over each circle. Cut each circle into 12 wedges.
- Roll up each wedge from the wide end and place point side down 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form crescents. Whisk egg white until foamy; brush over crescents. Sprinkle with remaining nut mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.