- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- For Panna Cotta:
- 4 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin from 2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
- PreparationStart pear jam
- In large bowl, toss together pears and sugar. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- For pear jam:
- 2 pounds ripe Bartlett pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup sugar
- Make panna cotta:
- In small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cream. Let stand until gelatin softens, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan over moderate heat, whisk together milk and sugar.
- Scrape in seeds from vanilla beans; add beans.
- Heat, whisking occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cream mixture.
- Strain through fine-mesh sieve, discarding vanilla beans, then ladle mixture into 8 (4-ounce) ramekins.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Finish pear jam:
- In heavy medium saucepan over moderate heat, combine 1/2 cup water and pear mixture.
- Bring to simmer, uncovered, and cook until pears are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to food processor and purée until smooth.
- Transfer jam to medium bowl, cover tightly, and refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour.
- (Jam will keep, covered, in refrigerator up to 1 week.)
- Unmold and serve
- Run thin sharp knife around inside edge of each ramekin to loosen.
- Dip bottom of 1 ramekin in bowl of very warm water 6 seconds.
- Put plate over ramekin, then invert panna cotta onto plate, gently lifting off ramekin.
- Repeat to unmold remaining panna cottas.
- Top each with 1/4 cup pear jam and serve.
NotesThis recipe was created by chef Lachlan Mackinnon Patterson of Frasca Food and Wine in Boulder, Colorado. It's part of a special menu he created for Epicurious's Wine.Dine.Donate program.
Start this recipe a day before you plan to serve it. Both the pear jam and the panna cotta are best if chilled overnight.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Paul's Food World Volume 1See More
Delicious Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Steamed vegetables saladSee More