VEAL OSSO BUCO
- Cooking Time: 2 hours, 20 min.
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cross cut veal shanks, 1 1/2 inches thick
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. dry white wine (or apple juice!)
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 3 Tbls. tomato paste
- 3/4 cup brown gravy (homemade is fab, but buy a jar if you must)
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Season flour with salt and pepper and dredge veal shanks, be sure to coat all sides and shake off excess.
Heat oil in a large dutch oven on the stove top.
Brown veal on all sides, then remove from pot and set aside.
Add onion and garlic to post and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add wine and cook for 3-4 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot with a spoon.
Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and gravy.
Bring to a boil and add remaining ingredients.
Return veal to the pot, cover and bake for 2 hours and 20 minutes.
Remove veal and set aside, covered in foil.
Remove bay leaves and discard.
Cook sauce over medium high heat for five minutes and pour over veal to serve.