- Cooking Time: 2 hours, 20 min.
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cross cut veal shanks, 1 1/2 inches thick
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. dry white wine (or apple juice!)
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 3 Tbls. tomato paste
- 3/4 cup brown gravy (homemade is fab, but buy a jar if you must)
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season flour with salt and pepper and dredge veal shanks, be sure to coat all sides and shake off excess.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven on the stove top.
- Brown veal on all sides, then remove from pot and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to post and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add wine and cook for 3-4 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot with a spoon.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and gravy.
- Bring to a boil and add remaining ingredients.
- Return veal to the pot, cover and bake for 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- Remove veal and set aside, covered in foil.
- Remove bay leaves and discard.
- Cook sauce over medium high heat for five minutes and pour over veal to serve.
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Watt's Cooking in PA?
Sauce du Jour Culinary Institution: where every crazy chef gets a sharp knifeSee More
CUPPY DUCKING CAKE :S
Banana Bread Bars with Brown Butter Frosting
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More