- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch processed cocoa (like Droste)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 2 oz semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
- Optional Icing: Equal parts soybean margarine, vegetable shortening and confectioners sugar (For this recipe 1/2 cup of each should suffice)
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave (1 minutes high heat) or my preferred way - a makeshift double broiler (boil some water in a small sauce pot, put a small saute pan over the sauce pot, lower heat, add chocolate, stir occasionally with a plastic spatula until melted ), let cool.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa, set aside.
- Whisk together wet ingredients (oil through Grand Marnier) until foamy, add orange peel. Add wet ingredients to dry and combine. Fold in melted chocolate.
- Line 16 (or possibly more) muffin tins with cupcake liner. Pour batter in, filling cup 3/4 of the way.
- Bake at 350 20-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Simple icing: Equal parts soybean margarine, vegetable shortening and confectioners sugar (For this recipe 1/2 cup of each should suffice). Grated orange zest to taste. Cream everything well with a soft spatula.
- prep time: 20 minutes | cooking time: 20-25 minutes | makes 16 cupcakes
NotesThis is a rich chocolate orange experience. Use your favorite chocolate icing with the zest of one orange added to it, or my simple icing below. Decorate with orange slices cut into quarters.