- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch processed cocoa (like Droste)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 2 oz semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
- Optional Icing: Equal parts soybean margarine, vegetable shortening and confectioners sugar (For this recipe 1/2 cup of each should suffice)
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave (1 minutes high heat) or my preferred way - a makeshift double broiler (boil some water in a small sauce pot, put a small saute pan over the sauce pot, lower heat, add chocolate, stir occasionally with a plastic spatula until melted ), let cool.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa, set aside.
- Whisk together wet ingredients (oil through Grand Marnier) until foamy, add orange peel. Add wet ingredients to dry and combine. Fold in melted chocolate.
- Line 16 (or possibly more) muffin tins with cupcake liner. Pour batter in, filling cup 3/4 of the way.
- Bake at 350 20-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Simple icing: Equal parts soybean margarine, vegetable shortening and confectioners sugar (For this recipe 1/2 cup of each should suffice). Grated orange zest to taste. Cream everything well with a soft spatula.
- prep time: 20 minutes | cooking time: 20-25 minutes | makes 16 cupcakes
NotesThis is a rich chocolate orange experience. Use your favorite chocolate icing with the zest of one orange added to it, or my simple icing below. Decorate with orange slices cut into quarters.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
GAES PTO Recipes
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More