- Cooking Time: 20 - 25 mins
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 5 mins
- 2 cups raw organic fresh spinach
- 1 cup organic zucchini (about 1 zucchini)
- 1 cup chopped red onions (about 1 medium onion)
- 1/4 cup scallions/green onions – (about 6)
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (a handful)
- 1/4 cup celery (1 large stalk)
- 4 cups strong vegetable broth
- 1 whole roasted garlic bulb
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup raw cashews
- dash of fresh lemon juice to taste
- Celtic sea salt to taste
- Place the garlic whole in the oven on about 400 for about 30 minutes until soft and roasted.
- In a saucepan saute onions and scallions with a pinch of celtic sea salt to bring out the sweetness until translucent.
- Add in spinach, celery, zucchini and parsley and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in stock and squeeze in roasted garlic pulp and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes until the veggies are cooked through.
- Allow to cool slightly and then puree in the blender with the cashews and return to the stove to warm and serve.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley and a grain ball. YUM!
NotesThe best thing about this soup? It takes less than half an hour from chopping board to table; and is dead easy. Unlike starchy soups that need about 30-40 minutes to cook through, this soup only needs about 20 minutes. Just chop up your ingredients, bring to the boil, simmer, blend and serve. I can’t seem to go past using whole roasted garlic in my soups. It just brings a depth of flavor that is hard to beat. I suppose, if you are on a winning blend – just keep spinning. If you want to really “go green”, you can always add in more spinach. But I find this balance of vegetables works well. Once again, I rely on my beloved cashews to cream up this vegan soup. If you have a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix, you will get a soup that is velvety and smooth. Don’t worry if you don’t have one. You will still get a beautiful tasting result. It just won’t be as smooth. You might have some pieces of cashew. But I don’t mind that rustic touch. If you want to make this soup nut-free, stir in a 1/4 cup of rolled oats during cooking – it blends up really well.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MetroCooking DC 2013
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Calzone de Gen aux épinards (ou bette à carde/chou frisé)
Chocolate Drizzled Lemon and Almond BiscottiSee More