VEGAN GLUTEN FREE SKORDALIA
Vegan Gluten Free Skordalia
- Cooking Time: 30 mins
- Servings: 2 small bowls
- Preparation Time: 10 mins
- 4 medium organic Russet (floury) potatoes washed and scrubbed, but not peeled
- 6-12 cloves of raw finely chopped garlic to taste
- 1 cup blanched or slivered raw almonds
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 5 Tbsp lemon juice or more to taste
- ½ cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground pepper and Celtic sea salt to taste
- 1 bunch of chopped cilantro/coriander finely chopped
Wash and scrub the potatoes, and cover them with cold water and a generous pinch of Celtic sea salt. Bring them to the boil, and then simmer for about half an hour until cooked. Alternatively, you could steam your potatoes.
Mince your garlic, and then puree in the food processor with your olive oil and almonds to create a garlic paste.
Drain your potatoes, and gently remove the skin. Gently mash your spuds or put through a ricer.
Gently fold through half of the garlic paste, and then slowly add the lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
To finish – stir through some freshly chopped cilantro, parsley, or chives. I have put quantities as a guide only.
I like to slowly add in a teaspoon of lemon juice and vinegar in small amounts, and then taste. It can get very rich and tart quickly. So I always hold back half of the ingredients and add each in alternatively to get exactly the right blend of flavors.