VEGAN LEMON ASPARAGUS SOUP
- Cooking Time: 10 mins
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 5 mins
- a few Tablespoons of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large organic leeks washed thoroughly and thinly sliced
- 5 large organic red skinned potatoes scrubbed and not peeled and rustically chopped.
- 750gms organic asparagus trimmed and chopped.
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 -2 tsp Celtic sea salt
- juice of 2 lemons – or more to taste
- Nutmeg to serve
- Sautee the leeks in oil until soft and translucent.
- Add the potatoes and the stock, and simmer until the potato is tender, and cooked through.
- Add in the asparagus, and just blanch for only a couple of minutes until just tender. Be careful not to over cook them.
- We want to preserve the vibrant green colour, and nutritional value. Allow the soup to cool slightly.
- Then blend thoroughly, until smooth and creamy, Return to the stove, and reheat.
- Season with Celtic sea salt, and then pour in the fresh lemon juice gradually – tasting periodically until you achieve your perfect blend.
- The soup is best if it is really lemony. It has a tangy zing and tastes alive and really heightens the natural flavour of the asparagus.
- Season with nutmeg and serve with an extra lemon wedge. YUM!
NotesI have always been a fan of the ubiquitous potato and leek soup. I thought I would try expanding on that idea a little, and adding in some greens. This soup is just delicious. When I think about grilling asparagus, I always serve it with a generous squeeze of lemon juice. Why should this soup be any different? I started making this soup without all the lemon, and found that it just didn’t have that extra pop. The lemon juice turned this soup from “so-so” to sublime.
Don’t be afraid to make this soup really, really lemony. “She is a friendly tart”. You won’t be sorry. YUMMO!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Hot and Sour Soup
My Husband’s Favorite Desert
Mickey's Pulled PorkSee More