1 package of firm tofu
a couple tablespoons of roasted tomatoes
1 yellow squash, chopped
1 large red bell pepper , chopped
1 handful or so of washed baby spinach
1/2 large onion, chopped
16 oz. of tomato sauce
8 or 9 cooked manicotti, jumbo shells, or 12 lasagna noodles, cooked
2 tbsp dried parsely
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp powdered garlic
3-4 tbsp nutritional yeast
smoked paprika to taste (my secret weapon to doctor tomato sauce!)
salt and pepper to taste
a handful of Daiya "mozzarella"
1. Cook your noodles al dente! Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a food processor smooth 1/2 of the tofu block and then combine with the other half, using the tines of a fork to crumble the remaining tofu. Add in the parsley, garlic, oregano, nutritional yeast, roasted tomatoes, and baby spinach.
3. Sautee veggies hardest to softest: onion, then pepper and squash. I like mine a little carmelized! Add the tomato sauce! Doctor store bought tomato sauce or break out your own! This is where I add the paprika!
4. Assemble! If you're making stuffed shells, fill your pasta with the tofu mixture. If you're making lasagna, you can layer. I usually layer with sauce, tofu, noodle 2x and top with a layer of tofu.
5. If you want a melty layer, add a handful of Daiya scattered across the top. Throw it in the oven to warm up the tofu filling and melt any topping.
6. Serve and enjoy!
Pairs Well With
Vegan Italian isn't easy, but sometimes you can really make something work! I was craving stuffed shells after work the other night and stoffed at the supermarket to get what I needed. An hour later, I was so happy I did!