- Cooking Time: 10-20 minutes
- Servings: 12 regular or 24 mini
- Preparation Time: 1 hour
- 1 c. soy milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 c. oil (vegetable, canola, or warm coconut)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or beans from 1/4 of a vanilla bean
- 1 tsp. pure orange extract
- 1 1/4 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1-2 pinches of powdered ginger
- 1-2 c. powdered sugar
- 1-2 tsp. soy milk
- 1/4-1/2 c. earthbalance vegan buttery sticks
- range depends on how much buttercream you want
- 1. if you use real vanilla beans, simmer a bean in warm water and slice it open to scrape into the wet ingredients.
- 2. preheat the oven to 350F and spray your cupcake liners with oil. i use olive oil in an atomizer and you never notice the flavor.
- 1. mix soy milk and vinegar. let it sit about 5 minutes to curdle.
- 2. mix the remaining wet ingredients with the soymilk and vinegar until they are slightly foamy.
- 3. sift the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- 4. add the dry to the wet
- 5. mix til it's almost lump-fee. it doesn't have to be perfect.
- 6. spoon the batter into your liners til they are 2/3 to 3/4 full
- 7. bake. 10 minutes for minis, about 15 for regular cupcakes.
- -always check with a skewer or knife to come out clean before removing them. your oven may be different than mine.
- -turn the heat up a little higher in the beginning and the cupcake will have more of a peak
- -do not bake minis with regular size cupcakes because the necessary cooking times are different and the more you open the oven, the more you change the temperature
- -don't overfill the cupcake liners or you'll have muffin tops and it may stick to the pan/tear apart.
- -oil or flour substituitions change the texture and cooking time of the cupcakes, so use the oven light if you have one to peak in!
- 1. cream the butter and extract first
- 2. add the sugar and mix in by hand first then beat with a mixer to prevent a dust cloud. add soy milk and more sugar for texture consistency til you think it's right.
- after the cupcakes cool, i like to use the back of a spoon and just swirl it around the top of the cupcake til there's a graceful peak, but piping or spreading your frosting is totally an artistic choice, so have at it. if i have it, i love to chop candied ginger and put a little on top.
NotesInspired by Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, this was one of my first mods...
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More