- Cooking Time: 10-20 minutes
- Servings: 12 regular or 24 mini
- Preparation Time: 1 hour
- 1 c. soy milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 c. oil (vegetable, canola, or warm coconut)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or beans from 1/4 of a vanilla bean
- 1 tsp. pure orange extract
- 1 1/4 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1-2 pinches of powdered ginger
- 1-2 c. powdered sugar
- 1-2 tsp. soy milk
- 1/4-1/2 c. earthbalance vegan buttery sticks
- range depends on how much buttercream you want
- 1. if you use real vanilla beans, simmer a bean in warm water and slice it open to scrape into the wet ingredients.
- 2. preheat the oven to 350F and spray your cupcake liners with oil. i use olive oil in an atomizer and you never notice the flavor.
- 1. mix soy milk and vinegar. let it sit about 5 minutes to curdle.
- 2. mix the remaining wet ingredients with the soymilk and vinegar until they are slightly foamy.
- 3. sift the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- 4. add the dry to the wet
- 5. mix til it's almost lump-fee. it doesn't have to be perfect.
- 6. spoon the batter into your liners til they are 2/3 to 3/4 full
- 7. bake. 10 minutes for minis, about 15 for regular cupcakes.
- -always check with a skewer or knife to come out clean before removing them. your oven may be different than mine.
- -turn the heat up a little higher in the beginning and the cupcake will have more of a peak
- -do not bake minis with regular size cupcakes because the necessary cooking times are different and the more you open the oven, the more you change the temperature
- -don't overfill the cupcake liners or you'll have muffin tops and it may stick to the pan/tear apart.
- -oil or flour substituitions change the texture and cooking time of the cupcakes, so use the oven light if you have one to peak in!
- 1. cream the butter and extract first
- 2. add the sugar and mix in by hand first then beat with a mixer to prevent a dust cloud. add soy milk and more sugar for texture consistency til you think it's right.
- after the cupcakes cool, i like to use the back of a spoon and just swirl it around the top of the cupcake til there's a graceful peak, but piping or spreading your frosting is totally an artistic choice, so have at it. if i have it, i love to chop candied ginger and put a little on top.
NotesInspired by Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, this was one of my first mods...
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing RecipesSee More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More