- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup margarine
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- In a medium bowl with fork, lightly stir together flour and salt.
- With pastry blender or two knives used scissor fashion, cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle in cold water, a tablespoon at a time, mixing lightly with a fork after each addition until pastry just holds together.
- With hands, shape pastry into ball (if it's a hot day you may have to refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes or so).
- For a two crust pie, divide pastry into 2 pieces, one slightly larger, and then gently shape each piece into a ball.
- On lightly floured surface with lightly floured rolling pin, roll larger ball into a 1/8 inch thick circle, 2 inches larger all around than pie plate.
- Roll half of circle onto rolling pin; transfer pastry to pie plate and unroll, easing into bottom and side of plate. Fill as recipe directs.
- For top crust, roll smaller ball as for bottom crust; with sharp knife, cut a few slashes or a design in center of circle; center over filling in the bottom crust.
- With scissors or sharp knife, trim the pastry edges, leaving 1 inch overhang all around the pie plate rim.
- Fold overhang under; pinch a high edge. Bake pie as recipe directs.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Watt's Cooking in PA?
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. WelchSee More
GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR BLEND
Peanut Butter Cups
White Chocolate and Cranberry CookiesSee More