- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla soy milk
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. organic sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- For the Strawberry Filling :
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup organic apple juice
- 1/4 cup organic unbleached granulated sugar
- 4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- For the Strawberry Mousse:
- 1 cup vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup nonfat soy milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4-5 Tbsp. prepared strawberry filling
- 5-6 cups organic powdered sugar
- 1 drop red food coloring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Mix the vinegar and soy milk together and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, stir together the soy milk mixture, the canola oil, and the vanilla extract and add to the dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Fill each cupcake liner about two-thirds full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cool in the cupcake pan for 5 minutes, then remove and place on a wire rack. Let cool completely before frosting.
- For the Strawberry Filling
- Place the strawberries and apple juice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the strawberries soften.
- While stirring, slowly add the sugar. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and add to the saucepan. Heat until thickened, being careful not to boil.
- Remove from the heat. While still warm, blend briefly with a hand blender, creating the consistency of a very thick purée. If you do not have a hand blender, use a traditional blender instead.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour, until jelly-like.
- For the Strawberry Mousse
- Beat the margarine until creamy. Add the soy milk, vanilla, and strawberry filling and mix well. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the food coloring, if desired. Beat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- To Assemble:
- Cut a cone-shaped piece out of the top of each cupcake. Fill with 1 to 2 teaspoons of the strawberry filling. Replace the cupcake top and frost with the strawberry mousse.
- Makes 16 cupcakes
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern CreationsSee More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More