- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla soy milk
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. organic sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- For the Strawberry Filling :
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup organic apple juice
- 1/4 cup organic unbleached granulated sugar
- 4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- For the Strawberry Mousse:
- 1 cup vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup nonfat soy milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4-5 Tbsp. prepared strawberry filling
- 5-6 cups organic powdered sugar
- 1 drop red food coloring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Mix the vinegar and soy milk together and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, stir together the soy milk mixture, the canola oil, and the vanilla extract and add to the dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Fill each cupcake liner about two-thirds full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cool in the cupcake pan for 5 minutes, then remove and place on a wire rack. Let cool completely before frosting.
- For the Strawberry Filling
- Place the strawberries and apple juice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the strawberries soften.
- While stirring, slowly add the sugar. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and add to the saucepan. Heat until thickened, being careful not to boil.
- Remove from the heat. While still warm, blend briefly with a hand blender, creating the consistency of a very thick purée. If you do not have a hand blender, use a traditional blender instead.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour, until jelly-like.
- For the Strawberry Mousse
- Beat the margarine until creamy. Add the soy milk, vanilla, and strawberry filling and mix well. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the food coloring, if desired. Beat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- To Assemble:
- Cut a cone-shaped piece out of the top of each cupcake. Fill with 1 to 2 teaspoons of the strawberry filling. Replace the cupcake top and frost with the strawberry mousse.
- Makes 16 cupcakes
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More