- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI am normally vegetarian (ovo-lacto) but for Lent this year I decided to go vegan. I love crepes but I couldn't find any vegan sweet crepe recipe so I decided to come up with one myself.
- (makes 12 crepes)
- 1. 175g/6oz all-purpose flour
- 2. 50g/2oz soy flour
- 3. 50g/2oz sugar
- 4. pinch of salt
- 5. 2 tablespoons mild vegetable oil (for instance sunflower oil)
- 6. 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 7. 550ml/18fl oz soy milk (can be substituted with water)
- Combine all dry ingredients in a medium-size mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients. Mix with a fork or blender until smooth. Cover the bowl with clingfilm or a plate and let rest for 1/2 an hour or so in the fridge.
- Preheat a nonstick (20cm/8in) frying pan. Spray with cooking spray or a thin layer of mild vegetable oil. Pour just enough batter to cover the pan, tilt and rotate the pan so the crepe batter is spread evenly. When it looks like the top of the crepe is set and the corners of the crepes are just beginning to brown, flip over with a spatula and cook the other side for under a minute.
- The first crepe should give you a feeling of whether the batter is too thick or thin for your taste. If it is too thick; add a bit more liquid and likewise if you want your crepe to be thicker add a little bit more flour.
- Remove the crepe from the pan by folding it in half and then in half again so it's now a triangular shape. Put on a plate and cover with foil as you make the remainder of the crepes.
- Favourite toppings: nuts, bananas, sugar, vegan caramel sauce, raspberry jam, dessicated coconut...