- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6 - 8 servings
- Preparation Time:
- 2 lbs. stew beef, cut in 1 1/2" cubes
- 1/4 c. salad oil
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 2 c. beef broth
- 2 c. water
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tb. chopped parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 Tb. salt
- 14 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. thyme leaves
- 6 med. potatoes, peeled and cut in halves
- 6 sm. onions, peeled
- 6 med. carrots, peeled and cut in halves crosswise
- 3 branches celery, cut in halves
- 1 green pepper, cut in strips
- 1 (8 oz.) can stewed tomatoes
- Cook beef in oil over med. heat in Dutch oven 'til all sides are browned. Remove meat from pan and add chopped onion. Cook 'til soft. Return meat to pan; add beef broth, water, garlic, parsley, bay leaf, salt, pepper and thyme. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hr.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer 'til veg. are tender, about 1 hour.
- Gravy will be thin. To thicken, remove veg. and meat from Dutch oven and keep warm in oven. Blend mixture of 6 Tb. four and 6 Tb. cold water into meat broth. Cook, stirring constantly, 'til mixture comes to a boil. Spoon over meat and veg.
- Note: If you cannot find canned beef broth in your markets, and do not want to make your own, you can use one of the packaged beef flavors, dissolved in hot water by label directions.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Short & SweetSee More
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Sara Lee® Fruity Breakfast Bread Spreads
Triple Chocolate Chunk CookiesSee More