- Cooking Time: 100 minutes +/-
- Servings: makes abotu 2 quarts
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2 unpeeled carrots, sliced
- 2 leeks, both white and green parts, washed and sliced
- greens from 1 fennel bulb or the bulb itself, sliced
- 2 turnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 unpeeled garlic cloves, cut in half
- 1 punch parsley or the stems from 2 bunches
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs or 1t dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 1C mushroom stems
- 1T black peppercorns
- 1C dry white wine
- Put everything except the peppercorns and wine in a 4 qt pot. Add just enough water to cover and heat on high heat until you get a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and keep everything at a slow simmer.
- After about 30 minutes, add the peppercorns and white wine; simmer about 10 more minutes. Strain through a medium-mesh strainer into a clean pot or heat-resistant plastic container. Let cool, uncovered for about an hour before putting it in the refrigerator. You're good to go.
NotesThere are times when you want a broth that's more subtle than a meat-based broth. This recipe is just that...light, but rich and full of flavor. Follow the recipe once. The next time, use whatever vegetables you have on hand.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
WorkingBug's Open House CookbookSee More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More