- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI really don't care for brown rice on it's own. But this is really good with all the extra goodies like the raisins and pecans. Also makes alot and is very filling. Only substitutions I made were cooking the rice in chicken broth and using golden raisins. From Light and Tasty.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into thin 1-inch strips
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 9 green onions, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in rice and basil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- In a large nonstick skillet, stir-fry the carrots, onion, green onions and raisins in hot oil for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned. Add the peas and salt. Cook for 1 minute or until vegetables are tender. Stir in pecans and rice; heat through. Yield: 9 servings.
- Nutritional Analysis: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 242 calories, 11 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 313 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.