- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cups packed, grated raw potato(about 3 large potatoes)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups onion, grated (or more to taste)
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (or more to taste)
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 bunch broccoli, broken into small florets
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- dash of thyme
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup milk
- Drain the potatoes and squeeze dry. Add 1/2 tsp salt, 1 egg, and 1/4 cup (or more to taste) grated onion. Pat potato mixture into well oiled 10-inch pie pan and bake at 400 deg. F for 30 minutes. Brush potato crust with oil, reduce oven temperature to 375 deg. F and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until crust is brown. While crust is baking, sauté 1 cup chopped onion and garlic in butter. If you like a lot of onion and garlic, use more. Add broccoli, 1/2 tsp salt, basil, a dash of thyme, and cook covered, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes. Spread half of cheese over baked crust. Top with sautéed vegetables and remaining cheese. Beat together remaining 3 eggs and milk, and pour over vegetable/cheese mixture. Sprinkle paprika on top. Bake at 375 deg. F for 35 to 40 minutes until custard is set.
- This recipe can be made in two stages: you can make the crust in advance and then can make the vegetable topping and bake it later. An electric grater is a real time-saver for the crust ingredients.
NotesThis has been a favorite around my house for years.
This recipe can be made in two stages: you can make the crust in advance and then can make the vegetable topping and bake it later. An electric grater is a real time-saver for the crust ingredients.