- Cooking Time: 5
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 7
- 1 can (19 oz) ready-to-serve lentil soup
- 1 package (about 9 oz) ready-to-serve brown rice
- 1 can (7.75 oz) unsalted mixed vegetables, drained
- 1 large or 2 small canned roasted red peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Combine soup, rice, mixed vegetables, peppers and 6 tablespoons of the cheddar cheese in a 2-quart, microwave-safe casserole or baking dish. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and level the top of the mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese.
- Cover and cook in a microwave oven at full power until heated through and the cheese on top melts, about 5 minutes.
- Uncover and cool for 1 minute before serving.
NotesVegetarian main dishes often require hours of chopping and cooking, and a laundry list of ingredients – but not in this dish. This easy casserole turns a can of vegetarian lentil soup into a hearty casserole with the help of nutritious, ready-to-serve whole-grain brown rice, canned vegetables, and cheddar cheese. Because all of the ingredients go into the casserole already cooked (canned vegetables are simply cooked vegetables in a can), all they need is a few minutes in a microwave before they are delightfully done and ready to serve.