- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 3 c drained and rinsed canned red beans
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions chopped
- 3 celrey ribs, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1/4 c minced garlic
- 3 carrots finely chopped
- 2 c finely chopped purple cabbage
- 1/2 pound mushrooms quartered
- 3 - 4 peppers - assorted colors finely chopped
- 1/3 c chili powder - add in small amounts until
- you have your desired heat level
- 1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 T sugar
- 1 T cumin seed
- 1 T oregano
- 2 t fennel seed
- 1 t thyme
- 1/2 t ahi - or cayenne pepper
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1 T salt
- 1/2 t ground black pepper
- 1 can (28 oz) Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 T soy sauce - lite
- 2 T cooking sherry
- 1 t tabasco
- In large pan heat oil over moderate heat. Add onions and celrey and saute until softened and translucent - 6 - 8 mins. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add carrots, cabbage, mushrooms and cook stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Add red, green, and any other color peppers and cook until they are soft.
- Stir in chili powder, cocoa, sugar, cumin seed, organo, feenl seed, thyme,cayenne, cinnamon, salt and 1/4 tsp of black pepper. Stir in tomatoes with liquid, beans and 4 cups of water. Simmer over low heat until thick - about 2 hours. Remove from heat, cover and refrigerate overnight. Reheat chili over low heat stir in soy sauce, sherry and tabasco.
- Serve with scallions and goat cheese crumbled on top.
NotesThis recipe was orginally published in the July 1988 issue of Food & Wine - I have modified and changed it over the years - at 8 servings of 342 calories each, it is still my favorite chili recipe.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mrs. Claus Cooks for Holiday Entertaining
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can EnjoySee More
Cordelia's Pound CakeSee More