- Servings: 8
- 3 c drained and rinsed canned red beans
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions chopped
- 3 celrey ribs, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1/4 c minced garlic
- 3 carrots finely chopped
- 2 c finely chopped purple cabbage
- 1/2 pound mushrooms quartered
- 3 - 4 peppers - assorted colors finely chopped
- 1/3 c chili powder - add in small amounts until
- you have your desired heat level
- 1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 T sugar
- 1 T cumin seed
- 1 T oregano
- 2 t fennel seed
- 1 t thyme
- 1/2 t ahi - or cayenne pepper
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1 T salt
- 1/2 t ground black pepper
- 1 can (28 oz) Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 T soy sauce - lite
- 2 T cooking sherry
- 1 t tabasco
In large pan heat oil over moderate heat. Add onions and celrey and saute until softened and translucent - 6 - 8 mins. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
Add carrots, cabbage, mushrooms and cook stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Add red, green, and any other color peppers and cook until they are soft.
Stir in chili powder, cocoa, sugar, cumin seed, organo, feenl seed, thyme,cayenne, cinnamon, salt and 1/4 tsp of black pepper. Stir in tomatoes with liquid, beans and 4 cups of water. Simmer over low heat until thick - about 2 hours. Remove from heat, cover and refrigerate overnight. Reheat chili over low heat stir in soy sauce, sherry and tabasco.
Serve with scallions and goat cheese crumbled on top.