- Cooking Time: 60-90 minutes
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- ¼ pound kidney beans, washed and soaked*
- ¼ pound great northern beans, washed and soaked*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup chopped green peppers
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 (28 oz) cans whole tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon southwest seasoning, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup hot picanté sauce (you can also use spicy bloody mary mix)
- 2 cups water
- *just use canned beans if you like
- Rinse the beans and pick out any stones. Put them in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and let sit for an hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the carrots, onions, garlic and green pepper in the olive oil over medium/high heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, seasonings, picante sauce, water, and the soaked beans (if using canned beans, add near the end)
- Bring the chili to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 60-90 minutes.
- Serve chili topped with lowfat sour cream and shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
NotesMy daughter just became a vegetarian. Enough said. (This did turn out to be pretty tasty, though)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skinSee More
Puff Daddy Pancake
Pumpkin-Cream Cheese Streusel Pie
Tossed Salad With Oil And Vinegar DressingSee More