- Cooking Time: 15-20
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10-15
- 2 Tbsp Olive or vegetable oil
- 1 med yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 cup pale beer or vegetable stock/broth
- 1-32oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1-14oz can black beans
- 1-14oz can dark red kidney beans
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cayenne hot pepper sauce, several drops
- 1 Tbsp coarse salt
- 1 cup vegetarian refried beans (spicy if you like)
- Toppings: shredded Monterey Jack or smoked cheddar cheese, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, chips - whatever you prefer!
- Over moderate heat, add oil to a deep pot and add onion, peppers and garlic. Saute for 3-5 minutes to soften vegetables. Deglaze pan with beer or broth, add tomatoes, black beans, red kidney beans and stirring to combine.
- Season chili with cumin, chili powder, hot sauce and salt. Thicken chili by stirring in the refried beans. Simmer over low heat 5-10 minutes, then serve with toppings/sides of choice.
NotesThis is a Rachel Ray recipie from years ago. I love it! The first time I made it for Todd, he didn't realize it was vegetarian!