- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 20
- Preparation Time: 25
- 12 (2) carrots, peeled
- 4 (⅓ cup) celery stalks
- 1 lb (1 cup chopped) fresh mushrooms
- 3 (1 cup) onions, diced
- ¼ cup (2 tsp) garlic, minced
- ½ cup (4 tsp) blended oil
- 1 can (½ cup) tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup (3 tbs) bulghur wheat
- 1 quart (⅔ cups) vegetable broth
- 1 dried chipotle and dried ancho chili (¼ tsp chipotle or ancho chili)
- 1 cup (3 tbsp) brewed coffee
- ¼ cup (2 tsp) chili powder
- 2 tbsp (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 1 (¼ tsp) cinnamon stick
- 3 cups (½ cup) pinto or kidney beans, cooked
- Pulse carrots, celery and mushrooms in a food processor until roughly ground.
- In a stockpot or brazier, soften vegetables, onions, and garlic in the oil.
- Add tomatoes, bulghur, vegetable stock, peppers, coffee and spices.
- Cook until liquid is almost gone.
- Remove peppers and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Add cooked beans.
NotesThe original recipe yields the "cooking for crowds" number of servings, 24 one cup serving size. To yield a more family cooking friendly number of servings, use the ingredient amounts in the parentheses.