VEGETARIAN DASHI: VEGETARIAN JAPANESE STOCK
- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 8 cups
- Preparation Time: 60
- 8½ cups water
- 1 6-inch piece kombu (dried kelp)
- 1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- Clean kombu by wiping it lightly with a damp cloth.
- Using a sharp knife, mark an X on the kombu.
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, kombu and shitake mushrooms. Let soak overnight or for at least one hour.
- Bring to a boil. Remove and discard kombu.
- Use dashi immediately or cool and store refrigerated for up to one week.
NotesThe vegetarian version of base stock for many Japanese recipes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
MetroCooking Texas 2013See More
Baked Spaghetti Casserole
Award - Winning Tortilla SoupSee More