- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 8 cups
- Preparation Time: 60
- 8½ cups water
- 1 6-inch piece kombu (dried kelp)
- 1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- Clean kombu by wiping it lightly with a damp cloth.
- Using a sharp knife, mark an X on the kombu.
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, kombu and shitake mushrooms. Let soak overnight or for at least one hour.
- Bring to a boil. Remove and discard kombu.
- Use dashi immediately or cool and store refrigerated for up to one week.
NotesThe vegetarian version of base stock for many Japanese recipes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with Sabra
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Sharing Christmas with FriendsSee More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More