- Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup of onion, diced
- small head of broccoli
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 15 or so chives, chopped
- 15 or so leaves of fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk or cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or white wine
- 1/4-1/2 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound pasta
- Cook pasta till almost done and drain it.
- Saute onions till golden brown.
- Add the broccoli and cook it about half way.
- Add the oregano and garlic and cook till fragrant.
- Remove the broccoli and deglaze the pan with broth.
- Lower the heat and add milk or cream. If it's too thin add tbl of butter or cornstarch/water mix or a flour roux.
- Reduce briefly, then add the broccoli back in.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add basil, chives and pasta.
- Mix together and let simmer for a couple minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot or chilled.
NotesI went to a farmers market one day and came home with some really nice fresh broccoli, chives and basil. I wanted some kind of pasta dish, so I made this. I made it with 2% milk and it came out fine, but cream would have been better. Surprising, isn't it? But the milk keeps it healthy, so there is that. It's a good recipe for using up leftovers too, just toss in whatever you have on hand. Roasted potato chunks would be good, so would asparagus or peppers.