VENISON SAUSAGE 1
- 12 lbs. meat, 1/2 venison, 1/2 pork
- 1 tablespoon saltpeter (sodium nitrate)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon crushed chili pepper (optional)
Cut venison and pork into small chunks for the grinder.
Add all seasonings and mix thoroughly.
Put meat through grinder using medium blade.
Pack meat in sausage bags or casings and hang it for long smoking at a low temperature.
If you wish, the meat may be stored in a freezer and used as you would good pork sausage.
Smoking certainly adds much to the flavor and is well worth the effort.