- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 48
- Preparation Time:
- 4 lbs. venison hamburger (no fat)
- 3 cups of chopped onion
- 2 cups bacon fat
- 2 cups tomato catsup
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Garlic powder
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook venison and onions until brown. Pour off excess fat. Add all other ingredients; mix thoroughly; bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.
- Now if you want to can this: Pack into clean, boiled Mason pint jars, leaving 1" head space. Adjust lids. Process at 15 lbs. pressure for 75 minutes, or 10 lbs. pressure for 110 minutes. Makes 8 pints.
- Sloppy Joes on a Bun: For 6 sandwiches, heat 1 pint Sloppy Joe Mix (above) to boiling and simmer 10 minutes. Spoon mixture onto hot hamburger buns and serve.
- Chili-Con-Carne: In a pan, mix 1 can or 2 cups cooked kidney beans, 1 pint Sloppy Joe Mix (above), and chili powder to taste. Heat to boiling and simmer 20 minutes. Serve with crackers or cornbread. Makes 4-6 servings.
- Venison Hamburger-Rice Casserole
- Place equal amounts of cooked rice and Sloppy Joe Mix (above) in a greased baking dish in layers, starting and ending with rice. Top with sliced or grated cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly.
- Venison Delight: Cook 1 cup macaroni according to package directions. Drain and combine with 1 pint Sloppy Joe Mix (above), 1 cup canned whole kernel corn, 1/4 cup grated cheese. Pour into creased casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until bubbly.
- Ground Venison in Cabbage Leaves: Place 8 large cabbage leaves in boiling water. Boil 2 minutes or until just limp. Mix 1 pint Sloppy Joe Mix (above) and 2 cups cooked rice. Place mixture on each cabbage leaf; roll leaves and hold with toothpick. Place them close together in a buttered dish. Dot each roll with margarine. Bake rolls, covered, at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until cabbage leaves are very tender.
NotesMy Great-grand Mother Biggs, canned this every year. It was great.
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!See More
Righteous Indignation Raspberry-Nut Bars
Mini Chicken Pot Pies
Lemon Blueberry BreadSee More