- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 48
- Preparation Time:
- 4 lbs. venison hamburger (no fat)
- 3 cups of chopped onion
- 2 cups bacon fat
- 2 cups tomato catsup
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Garlic powder
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook venison and onions until brown. Pour off excess fat. Add all other ingredients; mix thoroughly; bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.
- Now if you want to can this: Pack into clean, boiled Mason pint jars, leaving 1" head space. Adjust lids. Process at 15 lbs. pressure for 75 minutes, or 10 lbs. pressure for 110 minutes. Makes 8 pints.
- Sloppy Joes on a Bun: For 6 sandwiches, heat 1 pint Sloppy Joe Mix (above) to boiling and simmer 10 minutes. Spoon mixture onto hot hamburger buns and serve.
- Chili-Con-Carne: In a pan, mix 1 can or 2 cups cooked kidney beans, 1 pint Sloppy Joe Mix (above), and chili powder to taste. Heat to boiling and simmer 20 minutes. Serve with crackers or cornbread. Makes 4-6 servings.
- Venison Hamburger-Rice Casserole
- Place equal amounts of cooked rice and Sloppy Joe Mix (above) in a greased baking dish in layers, starting and ending with rice. Top with sliced or grated cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly.
- Venison Delight: Cook 1 cup macaroni according to package directions. Drain and combine with 1 pint Sloppy Joe Mix (above), 1 cup canned whole kernel corn, 1/4 cup grated cheese. Pour into creased casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until bubbly.
- Ground Venison in Cabbage Leaves: Place 8 large cabbage leaves in boiling water. Boil 2 minutes or until just limp. Mix 1 pint Sloppy Joe Mix (above) and 2 cups cooked rice. Place mixture on each cabbage leaf; roll leaves and hold with toothpick. Place them close together in a buttered dish. Dot each roll with margarine. Bake rolls, covered, at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until cabbage leaves are very tender.
NotesMy Great-grand Mother Biggs, canned this every year. It was great.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Second Grade Holiday CookbookSee More
Cake Mix Banana Nut Bread
EZ Salami Rolls
Asparagus FrittataSee More