- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryDo you remember the 3 days it took to marinate for traditional sauerbraten? Well no more,
PREP TIME IS JUST 20 MINUTES!!
- 2 lbs. top round beef steak
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 16-oz. pkg. baby carrots
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup crushed gingersnaps (about 15 cookies)
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- In 4 to 5-quart slow cooker, combine beef, onions, broth, vinegar, bay leaves, carrots, and potatoes. Mix well, then cover crockpot and cook on low for 8-9 hours.
- Then remove cover and turn heat to high. Remove bay leaves.
- Add gingersnaps and brown sugar to the mixture. Stir well and taste for seasoning (you may want to add more gingersnaps or brown sugar for the perfect sweet/sour balance).
- Then stir together sour cream and flour and add that to the crockpot, stirring well to combine. Cover and cook for 30 minutes until thickened and heated.
- Serve with hot cooked egg noodles, spatzele or Panni makes a potato dumpling my family loves. Serves 6-8
- Cook Time: 9 hours