Vichyssoise (Cold Potato-Leek Soup)
Why I Love This Recipe
FEATURING: Leeks, onions, potatoes, and kale.
There is a bit of a debate wether Vichyssoise, a potato-leek soup served cold, is actually of French or American origin. Regardless, here's a version that is fantastically simple, flavoursome and wholesome vichyssoise with all of the rich creaminess of traditional Vichyssoise, but without a drop of dairy. Topping each bowl with crunchy kale chips is totally optional but is a really nice addition, we find (here's the recipe we use but we cook the kale at 270F for 15-20 min: http://myvega.com/vega-life/recipe-center/3-best-kale-chip-recipes/). Serve the soup at room temperature (but you can also eat it warm if you prefer).
If you do like dairy, you can also try my potato-leek soup (that I make with soy or almond milk)- another recipe that I love: http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Gen's%20Potato%20Leek%20Soup/55646/
Ingredients You'll Need
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
5 medium potatoes, cubed
4 cups vegetable broth (or water)
3-4 leeks (white and green parts), rinsed and chopped (approx. 3 cups)
1 tsp sea salt + a bit more based on taste
Pepper to taste
A few handfuls of baked kale chips (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large pot. When the oil is hot, throw in the onions. Mix until translucent. Add the potatoes and cook for 1-2 min.
2. Add the vegetable broth (or water). Top up with water if necessary so that the stock is covering about 2 cm above the vegetables in the pot.
3. Turn onto a medium heat for about 30 minutes or until the vegetable are cooked through – it may take longer depending on the size that you cut your potatoes.
4. While the vegetables are cooking, heat oil in a pan. When oil is hot, add the sliced leek with a lavish amount of salt and pepper and cook on a medium heat until the leek is softened and turn sweet (make sure to stir often and not to brown the leeks). Set aside.
5. When potatoes are cooked, add the cooked leeks. With a hand blender (or regular blender), blend until completely smooth. This should take at least a couple of minutes.
6. Pour into bowls and sprinkle crunchy kale chips on top (optional).