- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryFEATURING: Leeks, onions, potatoes, and kale.
There is a bit of a debate wether Vichyssoise, a potato-leek soup served cold, is actually of French or American origin. Regardless, here's a version that is fantastically simple, flavoursome and wholesome vichyssoise with all of the rich creaminess of traditional Vichyssoise, but without a drop of dairy. Topping each bowl with crunchy kale chips is totally optional but is a really nice addition, we find (here's the recipe we use but we cook the kale at 270F for 15-20 min: http://myvega.com/vega-life/recipe-center/3-best-kale-chip-recipes/). Serve the soup at room temperature (but you can also eat it warm if you prefer).
If you do like dairy, you can also try my potato-leek soup (that I make with soy or almond milk)- another recipe that I love: http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Gen's%20Potato%20Leek%20Soup/55646/
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 medium potatoes, cubed
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 3-4 leeks (white and green parts), rinsed and chopped (approx. 3 cups)
- 1 tsp sea salt + a bit more based on taste
- Pepper to taste
- A few handfuls of baked kale chips (optional)
- 1. Heat oil in a large pot. When the oil is hot, throw in the onions. Mix until translucent. Add the potatoes and cook for 1-2 min.
- 2. Add the vegetable broth (or water). Top up with water if necessary so that the stock is covering about 2 cm above the vegetables in the pot.
- 3. Turn onto a medium heat for about 30 minutes or until the vegetable are cooked through – it may take longer depending on the size that you cut your potatoes.
- 4. While the vegetables are cooking, heat oil in a pan. When oil is hot, add the sliced leek with a lavish amount of salt and pepper and cook on a medium heat until the leek is softened and turn sweet (make sure to stir often and not to brown the leeks). Set aside.
- 5. When potatoes are cooked, add the cooked leeks. With a hand blender (or regular blender), blend until completely smooth. This should take at least a couple of minutes.
- 6. Pour into bowls and sprinkle crunchy kale chips on top (optional).