- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 60
- Cake Layers:
- 1 cup Unsalted butter; softened
- 2 1/2 cups Granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Baking soda
- 2 cups water; boiling
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups shortening; 3 cups if necessary
- 32 oz confectioners sugar; (1 package)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chip
- 1/3 cup Heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips; melted
- 2 package sstrawberries; fresh
- 1 In a small bowl, combine water and cocoa until blended and set aside
- 2 In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- 3 Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beating well after each addition
- 4 Preheat oven to 350°F
- 5 Pour into two greased and floured 9-in cake rounds. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 6 Remove from oven and let cool in pan 10 minutes then turn out onto cooling racks
- 7 While cakes are cooling, melt the chocolate for dipping and shavings. Dip about 20 strawberries into the melted chocolate and set onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Place the tray in the fridge and allow chocolate to set.
- 8 Take another 20 strawberries, hull, and slice long ways, about 1/8 inch thickness and set aside (this is for the filling)
- 9 On a small plate, lay out wax paper, and make designs with the left over melted chocolate. Use a fork and drip the chocolate onto the wax paper, then place plate in the freezer and allow it to set
- 10 To make the frosting, cream shortening and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy; gradually add water, beating until smooth
- 11 Spread over bottom layer, then cover with the slice strawberries.
- 12 Cover with top cake layer, and then frost the entire cake, Set aside to set, about 30 minutes.
- 13 For icing, heat chocolate chips and cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally. Spread over frosted cake until smooth. Refrigerate until set
- 14 Before serving, arrange two rows of sliced strawberries on top of cake. Fill center with chocolate shavings and dust with confectioners' sugar if desired
- 15 Place dipped strawberries around base. Store in the refrigerator
NotesI saw this cake on the Taste of Home website. It's shape was that of a heart, but I did this using round layers instead as I did not have a heart shaped cake pan. This is a great cake for Valentines day or any other Romantic occasion!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Cooking with Sabra
Rainbows Of Vegan LoveSee More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More