- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 60
- Cake Layers:
- 1 cup Unsalted butter; softened
- 2 1/2 cups Granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Baking soda
- 2 cups water; boiling
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups shortening; 3 cups if necessary
- 32 oz confectioners sugar; (1 package)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chip
- 1/3 cup Heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips; melted
- 2 package sstrawberries; fresh
- 1 In a small bowl, combine water and cocoa until blended and set aside
- 2 In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- 3 Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beating well after each addition
- 4 Preheat oven to 350°F
- 5 Pour into two greased and floured 9-in cake rounds. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 6 Remove from oven and let cool in pan 10 minutes then turn out onto cooling racks
- 7 While cakes are cooling, melt the chocolate for dipping and shavings. Dip about 20 strawberries into the melted chocolate and set onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Place the tray in the fridge and allow chocolate to set.
- 8 Take another 20 strawberries, hull, and slice long ways, about 1/8 inch thickness and set aside (this is for the filling)
- 9 On a small plate, lay out wax paper, and make designs with the left over melted chocolate. Use a fork and drip the chocolate onto the wax paper, then place plate in the freezer and allow it to set
- 10 To make the frosting, cream shortening and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy; gradually add water, beating until smooth
- 11 Spread over bottom layer, then cover with the slice strawberries.
- 12 Cover with top cake layer, and then frost the entire cake, Set aside to set, about 30 minutes.
- 13 For icing, heat chocolate chips and cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally. Spread over frosted cake until smooth. Refrigerate until set
- 14 Before serving, arrange two rows of sliced strawberries on top of cake. Fill center with chocolate shavings and dust with confectioners' sugar if desired
- 15 Place dipped strawberries around base. Store in the refrigerator
NotesI saw this cake on the Taste of Home website. It's shape was that of a heart, but I did this using round layers instead as I did not have a heart shaped cake pan. This is a great cake for Valentines day or any other Romantic occasion!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Vegetarian RecipesSee More
Curried Eggplant with Coconut Milk
Cube Steaks Paprika
Crockpot Rice Pork ChopsSee More