- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: ½ Gallon (2 cups)
- Preparation Time: 20 (not inc cool time)
- 5 lbs (3½ cups chopped) Vidalia onions
- 6 tbsp (4½ tsp) kosher or pickling salt
- ½ tsp (1 dash) turmeric
- ½ cup (2 tbs) roasted red peppers
- 1 tsp (¼ tsp) celery seed
- 1 tsp (¼ tsp) dry mustard
- 2 cups (½ cups) sugar
- 2 cups (½ cups) cider vinegar
- Peel and cut the onions into fine dice.
- Layer the onions with the salt applied over each layer.
- Let stand in the refrigerator, covered for 2 hours up to 24 hours.
- Strain the juice from the onions and rinse well.
- Place in a large heavy bottom pot and cook over medium high heat.
- Cook the onions down without letting them brown.
- Add all other ingredients and incorporate well.
- Bring to a simmer and continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning as necessary.
- You can refrigerate the relish; this can be jarred or frozen.
- Put on hot dogs, hamburgers or use as a general summertime condiment.
NotesThis recipe yields ½ a gallon. A more "family cooking" size yield of 2 cups is achieved through using the ingredient amounts in the parentheses.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Mrs. Claus Cooks for Holiday EntertainingSee More
Short Sharp Chops
CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD / MUFFINSSee More